Mussel Beach is located about 8km off the highway, down a gravel track. Low riding vehicles are not recommended, although 4x4s are not required. Take it slow and enjoy the views on the bumpy road to paradise.
Driving times from the Vancouver Island ferry terminals to Mussel Beach Campground are:
- Schwartz Bay (Victoria) – 5 hours
- Departure Bay (Nanaimo) – 3 hours
- Duke Point (Nanaimo) – 3 hours
Updates on highway conditions can be found on the Drive BC website.
Updates on the Highway 4 closures can be found here.
Mussel Beach Campground
Directions to Mussel Beach Private Getaway from Highway 4
Do not follow the instructions on Google Earth or your GPS device as the directions are not correct. Please use the following instructions below.
- Take Highway 4 to the west coast of Vancouver Island, passing through Port Alberni.
- Follow signs to Ucluelet / Tofino / Pacific Rim National Park Reserve.
- From the Ucluelet / Tofino Highway junction with Highway 4, turn left.
- After 1km, turn left along Port Albion Road.
- Go over the single lane bridge and look out for a gravel road on the left with a Mussel Beach sign after about 1km.
- Follow the signs for 8km and you will get to Mussel Beach in about 20-30 minutes.
*Please note that the final 8km is a bumpy gravel road with some pot holes. It will be time well spent. To view a video of the road check out Beat Back to Mussel Beach on YouTube.